History Of McGehee
The history of the City of McGehee and the history of
the railroad through McGehee are intricately interwoven. The history
In April 1923, the Gulf Coast Lines and the International-Great Northern were acquired, forming the Missouri Pacific Lines.
Important in the history of the town of McGehee is the
McGehee family which came to the area from Alabama in 1857.
Abner McGehee, son of Benjamin and Sarah McGehee purchased
240 acres of land on July 1, 1876, on which the town
When the railroad came into McGehee in 1878 and continued south and southwest, people began to move into the area. Abner McGehee constructed a large commissary building and entered the mercantile business to accommodate the new arrivals.
One of the first buildings in the area was a saw mill. The lumber cut in this mill was used to build shotgun type rent houses.
A post office was established in the McGehee commissary, and in 1879 Abner McGehee became the first postmaster. The post office was named McGehee and served between 400 and 500 people.
An order of incorporation was signed March 5, 1906. The first meeting of the town council was held July 21, 1906.
Today the enonomy of the area is largely dependent upon
agriculture. The railroad has been largely replaced by the trucking industry
which hauls farm products from the gins and grain bins of the area to
their destination. From a population of 400